"12 DANGERS OF OVEREXPOSURE TO THE SUN
& 12 REASONS TO TRY SUNLESS TANNING"
1. Sunburn - Multiple sunburns in your teen years is one of the leading factors for skin cancer.
2. Immune System Suppression - Scientists have found that sunburn can alter the disease fighting white cells for 24 hours.
3. Cataracts - Research has shown that UV radiation can increase the likely hood of certain cataracts.
4. Migraines & Headaches - Exposure to bright light can cause headaches to flare up.
5. Premature Aging of the Skin - The skin over time will become thick, wrinkled and leathery if overexposed to the sun for long periods of time.
6. Skin Cancer - One in five people will now experience skin cancer as a result of overexposure. This type of cancer is the most rapid increasing form in the U.S. today.
7. Basal Cell Carcinoma - a cancer cell that lies beneath the surface of the skin. This cancer is seen more in younger adults than in the past.
8. Squamous Cell Carcinoma - a cancer cell that develops in the outlayers of the skin. If left untreated this cancer can metastasize which basically means "spread" throughout your body and can cause disfigurement.
9. Melanoma - People with family members who have had melanoma are at a higher risk.
10. Actinic Keratosis - By far the most common form of pre-cancer and is the result of prolonged exposure to sunlight.
11. Leukoplakia - A disease of the mucous membrane.
12. Actinic Cheilitis - A disease occurring on the lips.